I saw a post about hiring developers. It was written with clients in mind, but these tips for hiring developers also are something to consider if you are a developer hoping to be hired.
Their list in brief is:
- Start with a crystal-clear project scope.
- Take your time.
- Determine must-haves vs. nice-to-haves.
- Ask (and expect) good questions.
- Ask for examples of previous work.
- Look for a cultural fit, not just talent.
- Consider logistics.
- Be open to change.
- Take a test drive.
- Set contractual milestones.
- Budget and pay appropriately.
- Put everything in writing.
It’s a good list to consider. Certainly, tip 5, ask for examples of previous work, is standard practice from bot sides. Item 9, take a test drive, is not something I have found to be common, but as a developer I would not object to doing.